QIP Home QIP Forum

Go Back   QIP Forum > English > Feature Requests

Feature Requests Suggestions welcome

Old 28.12.2009, 04:17   #1
Z_God
QIP Newcomer

Default Dialing SIP users with a regular QIP account

With the default QIP account, it seems to be impossible to dial to regular SIP addresses. When I add a SIPNET account, I can dial SIP users without any problems from it.

Is this implemented on purpose? Another thing I'm wondering about, is whether I could register my QIP account for phone calls using another client than QIP itself. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!
Z_God вне форума   Reply With Quote
Old 28.12.2009, 05:23   #2
Santiago26
QIP Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_God View Post
QIP account, it seems to be impossible to dial to regular SIP addresses
Yes, QIP Phone only for local/mobile calls, sip not provided.
Quote:
QIP account for phone calls using another client
No, you cannot. Cause of my statement is that QIP Phone isn`t a SIP provider. Also, voip.qip.ru contains no info about any configs for other clients.
QIP Phone use SIP technology in deep of himself, but users can`t call to sip-adresses. For calling any SIP adress you have to use some third SIP-provider.
Santiago26 вне форума   Reply With Quote
Old 28.12.2009, 05:45   #3
Z_God
QIP Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago26 View Post
Yes, QIP Phone only for local/mobile calls, sip not provided.
Hmm, that's too bad. With Speex UWB support, QIP is probably be one of the best SIP clients for MS Windows.
I guess the reason is that phoning between QIP other clients is supposed to work using Jingle?
Still it does just work when adding a regular SIPNET account, so the software has full support for this. You just need to register with SIPNET or another XIMSS server that routes calls to the outside world to get this functionality.

Quote:
No, you cannot. Cause of my statement is that QIP Phone isn`t a SIP provider. Also, voip.qip.ru contains no info about any configs for other clients.
QIP Phone use SIP technology in deep of himself, but users can`t call to sip-adresses. For calling any SIP adress you have to use some third SIP-provider.
I guess it's the same thing there, the user is supposed to use a Jabber client to register to the QIP server to receive phone calls from other QIP users. I guess that currently dialing out to regular landlines/mobiles over Jingle is not possible using the QIP call-out credit yet? Is this feature planned to be added?

The reason SIP support to access the QIP credit would seem interesting, is because mobile IP phones and adapters work using SIP and since the support appears to be based on SIPNET, this feature would likely be trivial to add. Financially this would also benefit QIP, since people may switch their landlines too to the service.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the ability to dial SIPNET users without a SIPNET account set up in QIP. I believe the phone numbers for QIP users are picked are from a different range than the numbers that SIPNET itself is using (QIP numbers have extra 0s in front and are longer?), so routing calls between the two would seem a possibility and a logical consequence.
Old 28.12.2009, 07:36   #4
Santiago26
QIP Elder

Quote:
regular landlines/mobiles over Jingle
Jingle doesn`t support it. Jingle is just Jabber extension, so if smbd want to use Jingle to landlines calls, he need to create a gateway. QIP hasn`t resources enought for that.
Support for Jingle in QIP implemented on the goodwill of developers who have decided to allow free calls between QIP Infium users and @qip.ru. Unfortunately, QIP Phone never intended to make free calls anywhere.
So, possible scenarious of calling in Infium:
Jingle-Jingle (any clients with Jingle)
any SIP-any SIP
(SIPNET operator provides SIP-Skype gate)
QIP_Phone-landline/mobile phones

Note: QoS of Jingle depends on your Internet connection properties, so it may be bad but may be as Skype sound quality is.
Quote:
software has full support for this. You just need to register with SIPNET or another XIMSS server that routes calls to the outside world to get this functionality.
Yes, it's all true to the last word. Just use another operator.
Santiago26 вне форума   Reply With Quote
Old 28.12.2009, 15:24   #5
Z_God
QIP Newcomer

Quote:
Jingle doesn`t support it. Jingle is just Jabber extension, so if smbd want to use Jingle to landlines calls, he need to create a gateway. QIP hasn`t resources enought for that.
Support for Jingle in QIP implemented on the goodwill of developers who have decided to allow free calls between QIP Infium users and @qip.ru. Unfortunately, QIP Phone never intended to make free calls anywhere.
Jingle is able to support this type of calls without problems :) It's just that the gateway you're using is only talking SIP/XMISS and not Jingle ;)
Maybe it'd be interesting to talk to the people of GTalk2VoIP if you're interested in offering support for more clients than just the QIP client itself. If you'd enable your service to work fully with Jingle then you'd also be able to point Linux and other non-Windows users to clients like Pidgin and Psi.

Right now the solution QIP is using seems a bit clumsy: it sets up both an XMPP and an XMISS connection. Once you have the server side ready, you could do everything over XMPP. There are also some people working on XEPs which should provide better Jingle and SIP interoperability, maybe you could join this effort.
Old 28.12.2009, 17:50   #6
Providence
Specially for Natly

Z_God, qip.ru doesn't have enough resouces for jabber<>voip gateway, so...
Quote:
qip.ru ximss account is very easy to connect in any ximss client as well as sipnet account I had no problems connecting qip.ru in eyebeam.
Providence вне форума   Reply With Quote